Shaded areas are Museum work rooms not open to the public.
Entrance and exit via the new drawbridge through the six feet thick Tower wall.
Reception counter and gift shop. Books, gifts, souvenirs, collectibles and all general enquiries.
Access to old steep steps built into the wall leading up to the gun platform affording 360 degree views.
Glass cases of items found on Seaford shore. ‘Phoebe’, our restored ship’s figurehead. Ship’s figurehead, believed to be from the ‘Peruvean’, wrecked in Seaford Bay on 6th February 1899.
Access to the Moat level via the lift or down the concrete stairs, flanked by pictures of former local dignitaries and paintings of the 1875 flood.
Lower Floor & The Covered Moat Area
- Seaford town memorabilia.
- Seaford at the time of Napoleon.
- The Rotten Borough.
- Seaford as a seaside resort.
- Steps down through tower wall base into the covered section of the former moat.
Emergency exit to the open moat.
- Aircraft radio beacon, moved from Seaford Head in 1991 when the beacon became automated.
- Comprehensive collection of early gramophones, radios, televisions etc.
- George Jakens Archive. Library containing archives and housing register, giving the history of the streets and buildings in Seaford from around 1834.
Open for enquiries 1:30 to 4:00pm on the first Sunday of each month and for special arrangement.
- Home computers, video games, calculators.
- Washing machines and irons. Door locks and light bulbs.
- Sewing machines from the 1850’s onwards.
- Office machines, copiers, calculators, tills, and Braille machines.
- Kathleen Ayres Room. Used as a general meeting room and containing literature on local history and displays of paintings, photographs and prints. A video of the 1976 rebuilding of Seaford beach is shown.
- Scientific calculators, drawing office tools, engineering tools. Sun ray lamps.
- Old fashioned village general store with cash carrier overhead.
- Stained glass windows and artefacts from some of our many local schools.
- Wartime kitchen around 1940. Note the blackout, dried milk and eggs, ration book and gas mask.
- Cameron’s – a chemist shop from around 1920 – 1950. View of moat wall.
- Souvenirs of Seaford’s cinemas – the Empire (1913 – 1939) and the Ritz (1936 – 1984), with show reel.
- Late Victorian Kitchen and Scullery. Gas lights, tapers, kitchen stove, copper for boiling clothes, stone sink and mangle.
- Buckland’s cameras, still and movie, projectors and photographic equipment from the early days to the nineties.
- Snushall’s – Victorian christening gowns.
- Wynne’s – hardware shop with a wide range of tools and memories.
- Children’s activity and dressing up area.
Emergency exit to the open moat.
- Cobbler’s tools and materials.
- Victorian Jet Jewellery.
- A WW2 bomb shelter with film of Seaford during the war.
- World War 1 and 2 in Seaford.
- Double bank of display cabinets of coins, smoker’s requisites, pens, Edwardian lace and fans, embroidery and samplers, children’s toys.
- Commemorative porcelain and ceramics, clocks, razors and shaving items, needlework and haberdashery.
- Doll’s House, Meccano toys, wire game and “plug ‘n’ socket” puzzle.
- Working model of Seaford Railway Station around 1922.
- A restored Victorian bathing machine.
- Small display of telephones, mobile and fixed.
- Victorian wedding attire.
- Victorian dress shop.
- Information on geology and ecology of the area and on coastal defence work.
- Domestic sweepers and vacuum cleaners.
- The Magazine. Fossils, Seaford hoard of neolithic axe heads and other archaelogical finds. Roman coins and carving, old bottles. Trapdoor to store below.
This is the earliest know photograph of the Tower, taken in around 1840. Find out about the tower’s history >>